We recommend that you read this patient information before using Cytomel. If you have any further questions after that, please ask your doctor, pharmacist. It is always useful to keep the packaging, because it contains the batch number by which the manufacturer can identify the product. This medicine has been prescribed for you personally, do not pass this medicine on to others. This medicine may harm them, even if their symptoms are the same as those for which you received the medicine. T3 lets you lose weight very quickly by making the thyroid gland work faster.
Belongs to a group of medicines called 'thyroid mimetics'. Thyreomimetics act in the same way as naturally occurring thyroid hormones.The thyroid gland makes two hormones: triiodine thyronine (T3 or liothyronine) and tetraiodine thyronine (T4 or levothyroxine). T4 is inactive and is converted into the active T3 in the body. T3 has many functions in the body: it is involved in the development of the nervous system, growth and it regulates the level of the human metabolism. If your thyroid gland does not function or does not function normally, you will receive too little active thyroid hormone.
The active substance in Cytomel is liothyronine, which is identical to the thyroid hormone T3. Cytomel, in combination with levothyroxine, is used to treat decreased thyroid function. Cytomel is also used to treat non-toxic goiter (an enlargement of the thyroid gland without abnormal thyroid function). Finally, Cytomel is used to detect abnormalities in thyroid function.
Cytomel should not be used by patients:
- with impaired adrenal function, with a certain kidney disease (“nephrotic syndrome”);
- with insufficient development and function of the genital organs;
- Your doctor or pharmacist can provide you with further information.
When to take special care with Ciprofloxacin
- If you start taking Cytomel after treatment with other medicines for the thyroid gland (levothyroxine). The possible residual effect of these drugs and the rapid onset of action of Cytomel must be taken into account and the dosage adjusted accordingly.
- If you suffer from a heart and / or vascular disease. In particular if you suffer from insufficient heart function, you should tell your doctor.
- If you have a certain skin condition and a decreased metabolism (myxedema) due to malfunctioning of the thyroid gland. Patients may then react violently to thyroid drugs and treatment should therefore be initiated with caution.
- When your adrenal function has decreased due to a long and severe reduction in thyroid function. Your doctor will first treat the decreased adrenal function before starting treatment with Cytomel.
- If you have a decrease in the function of the anterior pituitary gland (a specific center in the brain that produces hormones). Your doctor will therefore first treat the decreased adrenal function before starting treatment with Cytomel.
- If you have a heart rhythm disorder. You must tell your doctor because of the risk of your heart rhythm disorder (arrhythmias) getting worse.